We are very keen to provide accessible ways of supporting you to experience the 8 Week MBSR Course, and in response to requests from people who may not have access to a mindfulness-based course in their home location, we are pleased to offer the Mindful Academy Distance Learning Mindfulness Course from your own home using video conferencing.
Our Distance Learning course is an enriching way to experience an eight-week mindfulness–based course, either as a first experience of mindfulness, as a refresher, as an opportunity to deepen your practice, or as a way to prepare for your TTR1 Foundation course either with us or another organisation. Graduates share that the experience of working closely with a Senior MBSR Teacher in a group environment or one-to-one can lead to profound understandings and changes in one's life. Many Distance learners have been surprised at the depth of practice, sense of connection and ease of learning during the Distance Learning course and often go on to further engagement with mindfulness in various ways.
When we offer this course in an in-person format, participants travel to the course location for one session of 150 minutes a week for the eight weeks. They then return home and practice the home assignments throughout the week. In this Distance Learning format, you have the choice of either a small group session or if you prefer, there is also a private 1-1 (or 1-2 with a friend) option. In both cases, we will deliver the content in a similar manner to the in-person format. The segments within each Distance Learning session are akin to what an in-person participant experiences in their weekly MBSR session. The home practice you will be asked to complete following each session is exactly the same as the home practice assigned at the in-person MBSR course.
Each week you will have either a group 2.5hrs (150 minutes) session via Zoom or a private 1-1 session (or 1 -2 ) of 1.5hrs by Skype or Zoom with Kathy Ward, Senior MBSR Teacher, Director of Training and co-founder of Mindful Academy, to guide you through the learning of the eight-week programme. Practice mp3’s and our extensive Participants Handbook will be emailed out to you in advance of Week one. Like most things in life, you get out what you put in, and Home practice forms a large part of the programme and you will need to commit yourself to spending up to an hour each day:
- Listening and practising, using the mp3’s
- Making notes of your experience
- Undertaking some informal / daily life practices. These can be done as part of your routine and ordinary activities.
Summary of the course
- The aim of the course is to learn new ways to handle our body sensations, thoughts and emotions.
- It teaches us to take better care of ourselves so that we are able to live our lives in a fuller and healthier way.
- It promotes a way of being that helps us tackle life problems – physical, mental, social and emotional
- The focus of the mindfulness practice is to learn to be aware of the small changes in the physical sensations in your body; what is happening in the world around you using your physical senses, thoughts and emotions.
- The course programme encourages us to develop the skill of being aware of our experiences (good and bad, pleasant and unpleasant) from moment to moment so that we can learn to respond more skillfully to situations rather than simply reacting automatically.
- Overall, the course is often helpful in dealing with an ongoing difficulty – the problem may not change but the way we can learn to relate to it differently.
Whilst taking part in the course it is important to remember that finding the time to practice involves a shift in routine, we find it helps to think of building the time in during the 8 weeks, rather than trying to fit it into our busy schedules. As we practice, things may appear to be feeling more intense and challenging, and the programme encourages us to bring a high degree of attention to everything, even the unpleasant or difficult things we are experiencing in our lives. This forms an important part of the experiential learning - to stay and be with problems and difficulties with kindness, rather than turn away from them and avoid them. Of course, we will also learn when its right to turn away and anchor with the breath or feet on the floor. Please note, there is little opportunity or time during the course to discuss any current or past personal problems not related to the practices. If necessary, these should be pursued through individual work with a counselor or other appropriate support.
The total cost of this programme includes:
- Initial phone call with Kathy Ward to orientate you to the course and answer any questions you may have.
- Either -
8 x 90 minute (1.5hrs) weekly calls for the private 1 - 1 (1 - 2) option OR
8 x 150 minute (2.5hrs) weekly calls for the group option
- Teacher support between sessions via email
- Mp3's to support your home practice
- Extensive Participant workbook
- Cost of the private 1-1 option is 650 euros (maximum 2 people)
- Private 1-1 or 1-2 start dates in Jan and Apr.
- Cost of the group option is 325 euros
- Group course 21st Jan to 11th March.
- Group course 8th Apr to 27th May.
Many people chose this the private 1-1 video conferencing option for its individual nature and we also welcome people who have already experienced the traditional 8-week course as a way to revisit their practice with personal support in this intimate one-one experience. To address the needs of those interested in taking the MBSR 8-week course with others, but are unable to physically attend, we created the on-line group video conferencing course. In both cases, to ensure the best possible experience for all participants, the course relies on video conferencing which has minimum requirements to work properly. That includes having a computer with speakers, microphone, video capabilities, and a high-speed internet connection (not wifi). We recommend that you watch the video tuturial.
This 8-week course format is not automatically accepted as entry criteria to the Mindful Academy Teaching Training pathway. However under certain circumstances this could be considered, such as:
- Lack of accessibility to the traditional eight week format in your area
- Life events that make attending the traditional eight week format impossible
Please do talk to us if you are embarking on this course as a route to mindfulness training.
Download the application form :
Mindful Academy distance learning application form